Local Notes: Claremorris Musical Society gets ready for new show
Celebrating the Mayo team’s homecoming in Hastings Insurance MacHale Park were Sadie, Sean and Ann Brett, Claremorris. Picture: David Farrell Photography
Claremorris Musical Society will celebrate its 20th production with ‘Calendar Girls - The Musical’, featuring music and lyrics by Gary Barlow and Tim Firth.
Based on the true story of a group of Yorkshire women who create an alternative calendar to raise money for charity, the musical combines comedy, drama and music with themes of friendship, community and resilience. The society will also support Mayo Roscommon Hospice as part of its 20th anniversary celebrations.
The announcement follows another successful year for Claremorris Musical Society, whose production of ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ received five nominations at the Association of Irish Musical Societies (AIMS) Awards. The society finished runner-up in all five categories.
Director Donna Ruane, musical director Deirdre Lee and choreographer Jay Molyneux will lead the new production and are inviting both existing members and newcomers to audition. Chairperson Vivienne Lee said reaching the 20th production was “a tremendous milestone” for the society and described ‘Calendar Girls The Musical’ as a show filled with “humour, heart and hope”.
Auditions will take place on Tuesday, September 8th and Wednesday, September 9th in the Dalton Inn, Claremorris. Rehearsals will begin shortly afterwards, with performances scheduled for Claremorris Town Hall from January 27th to 30th.
Anyone wishing to audition must register in advance using the audition registration form available through the society’s social media platforms or by emailing claremorrismusicalsoc@gmail.com. Audition materials and time slots will be sent to registered applicants in the coming weeks. The society is also inviting businesses and individuals interested in supporting the production through sponsorship or patronage to get in touch.
More than €22,000 has been raised for Hollymount Community First Responders in memory of Caylum Flynn, the 14-year-old Seefin, Scardaune teenager who died in an accident in 2022.
A cheque for €22,000 was presented to the group at Kelly’s of Foxhall, formerly Tierney’s, last week. The event marked what would have been Caylum’s 18th birthday. More than 300 people attended. Donations are still being accepted.
All-Ireland-winning Mayo footballers Eoin McGreal and Enda Hession presented the cheque. Twelve newly trained first responders also received their CPR certificates during the afternoon. Michael Burke provided the entertainment.
The money raised will support the work of Hollymount Community First Responders. Six defibrillators, some more than 17 years old, are being replaced. The group has 19 community defibrillators in total. Replacement units can cost thousands of euro.
The fundraiser has also enabled the group to acquire handheld defibrillators bearing Caylum’s name. Each of the eight responders has a personal pocket AED.
The group covers an area of approximately 88,000 acres around Hollymount, extending to Claremorris, Ballinrobe, Kilmaine, Carnacon, Ballindine, Shrule and Kilconly. Its specially trained team includes emergency text response nurses, responders and EMTs. They receive an alert at the same time as an ambulance is notified of a local emergency. The group responds to cardiac arrests, heart attacks, strokes, choking, falls, fractures, seizures, trauma, limb loss, farm accidents and sports ground injuries. The group responds to 90 per cent of calls within eight minutes. The group currently has six Emergency First Responders.
Funds raised through the Caylum Flynn fundraiser will also assist with volunteer training and upskilling.
Hollymount Community First Responders has thanked everyone who contributed and supported the event. The group said continued public support is needed to maintain equipment and allow its volunteers to respond effectively when required.
Donations can still be made through the group’s GoFundMe campaign or directly through Claremorris Credit Union.
Claremorris Golf was a busy place in recent weekends. In the Townley Medical Practice competitions, played from July 31 to August 2, Cliona Callaghan won the Ladies’ 18-Hole competition with 44 points, with Noreen McHugh taking Category One on 40. Peter Gallagher was the Men’s 18-Hole winner with 45 points. Category winners were Steve Walsh (36), Gerry Hughes (40), John Brady (38) and Ardil Jennings (36).
In the Golfstyle competitions from August 7 to 9, Bernie Divilly took the Ladies’ 18-Hole Stableford with 43 points. Ger Noone won the Men’s competition with an excellent 45 points. Aiden McDonagh won Category Two with 43, Mick Divilly took Category Three with 43 after a countback, Declan Hughes won Category Four with 36, and Myles Fallon claimed Category Five with 40.
The ‘Win a House in Mayo’ campaign is underway in support of the proposed Claremorris Community Sports and Recreational Centre. The campaign was launched at the Claremorris Agricultural Show and offers a chance to win a new three-bedroom home at Convent Gate, Claremorris.
Tickets are priced at €20, with three available for €50, seven for €100 and 25 for €250. The campaign is scheduled to run for six months. Committee co-chair Catriona Doherty said the fundraiser is intended to raise the local contribution required to secure Government funding for the €7 million project. The proposed centre will provide indoor facilities for a range of sporting and community activities. Further information is available at winahouseinmayo.com.
Claremorris Colts RFC will host its first Family Fun Day at the Mount St Michael pitch on Sunday next, August 23, from 1pm to 4pm.
The afternoon will feature a range of activities for children, families and rugby supporters. Attractions will include an Adventure Obstacle Course, bouncy castle, dunking tank, face painting, rugby relay and conversion competitions, along with a Sensory Corner. There will also be games with prizes, food and refreshment stands, an ice cream van and a chocolate fountain. Music will provide the backdrop throughout the afternoon. Admission will be €5 per person or €20 for a family ticket. Tickets can be purchased on the day.
Claremorris Family Resource Centre has announced details of two courses beginning in September, with places available on a Smartphone Photography Course and a six-week Crochet Course.
The four-week Smartphone Photography Course will begin on Wednesday, September 16. Classes will run for two hours each week, with participants able to choose between a morning session from 10am to 12 noon or an evening session from 7pm to 9pm. The cost is €25.
The course is designed for people who want to improve their photography using their phone. Topics will include camera settings and hidden features, composition and framing, natural light, portraits, landscapes and everyday photography. Participants will also learn simple editing techniques using their phones.
The six-week Crochet Course with Patricia Plunkett will begin on Thursday, September 17. It is suitable for complete beginners as well as those with intermediate skills who want to develop their existing abilities.
The beginners' class will run from 10am to 12 noon, with the intermediate class from 12.30pm to 2.30pm. The cost is €60 for the full six-week course.
Both courses will take place at Claremorris Family Resource Centre, Mount Street, Claremorris, F12 H2C2. Places are limited, with early booking advised.
Further information and bookings are available from the Centre on 094-9377838 or by email at info@claremorrisfrc.ie.
The Centre is currently closed for its summer break and will reopen to the public on Tuesday, September 1. Staff have thanked the community for its continued support and said they look forward to welcoming people back after the summer break.
Claremorris RFC is inviting women to join its first ever Senior Women's Rugby Team ahead of the new season.
The club hopes to compete in the Connacht League from September and is holding a series of free 'Give It A Try' sessions at Colts Park. No previous rugby experience is required, with beginners and experienced players welcome.
Sessions take place on Mondays in August from 8pm to 9.30pm. Anyone interested can contact Pearse on 087-9427598.
Congratulations to Liam Trench, who was the lucky winner of the Davitts GAA and LGFA Club Presto draw this week, collecting a substantial jackpot of €13,900.
The weekly draw takes place every Sunday night and continues to provide valuable support for the club. Tickets can be purchased online through the club website or via Clubforce, as well as from participating shops and pubs in the area. The club thanked everyone who continues to support the draw and congratulated Liam on his impressive win.
Pat Kearns collected €1,360 in last week’s Claremorris GAA 50/50 draw. Pat’s winning ticket was purchased in Gilligan’s. The club congratulated Pat and expressed its appreciation to all those who continue to enter the draw. The strong support for the weekly fundraiser provides important funds for the club’s work at all levels.
Finn O’Boyle was the winner of the latest Claremorris AFC 50/50 draw, taking home €557. Finn purchased his winning ticket in Killeen’s.
Congratulations were extended to Finn by the club, which also thanked its supporters for their continued backing of the draw. The fundraiser remains an important source of support for the club and its teams.
Claremorris Tidy Towns, in partnership with the Heritage Council, will explore the world of insects at Clare Lake on this Thursday, August 20, as part of National Heritage Week.
Ecologist Dr Karina Dingerkus will lead a guided walk around the lake, looking at the variety of insects found locally and their contribution to biodiversity. The event will begin at 7pm at the bandstand inside the Clare Lake entrance. The walk is suitable for all ages. Light refreshments will be served. Admission is free.
The death has occurred of Thomas (Tom) English of London, and formerly of Lisduff, Claremorris. Tom died after a long illness on July 12th, surrounded by his loving family.
Tom was predeceased by his parents Paddy and Rose, sister Elizabeth and grandnieces. He will be sadly missed by his daughters Katie and Irene, sons Tommy and Danny and their partners, their mother Tracy, grandchildren, sisters Mary, Margaret, Kathleen and Patricia, brothers John, Paddy and Jarlath and their families.
Tom’s remains reposed at W.G. Miller Funeral Home, London, on Thursday, August 13th. His funeral service was held on Friday in St Ignatius Church, followed by burial afterwards in St Pancras Cemetery.
May he rest in peace.
The death has occurred of William Gabriel (Gabe) Hosty of Mount Greenwood, Chicago, Illinois, and formerly of Irishtown. Gabe died on August 4th, 2026.
Gabe was predeceased by his parents Nora and Pat, brothers Peter, Thomas and Edward, brother-in-law Michael, and sisters-in-law Noreen and Nellie. He will be dearly missed by his loving wife Margaret (Peggy), sons John (Jennifer) Hosty, Kevin (Bridget) Morley and Michael (Thelma) Morley, beloved grandchildren and great-grandchildren, brothers Paddy (Phyllis) and John (Pauline), sister Carmel Kennedy, Frances (Keith) Tidswell, nieces, nephews and close friends.
Gabe’s remains reposed at Curley Funeral Home, Chicago Ridge, on Monday, August 10th. His Funeral Mass was held on Tuesday in St Christina Church, Chicago, followed by interment afterwards in Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
May he rest in peace.
