Suspended jail term for man who had machete in shop
The defendant pleaded guilty at Castlebar Circuit Criminal Court.
A man who brought a machete to a filling station after a feud-related attack on his brother has received a suspended prison sentence.
Christopher Barrett, aged 28, of Lough Mask Road, Ballinrobe, appeared before Castlebar Circuit Criminal Court where he admitted to possession of a bladed article, namely a machete, at Corrib Oil, Neale Road, Ballinrobe, on January 31, 2023.
A man was previously jailed for his part in a ‘hit squad’ attack on Christoper Barrett’s brother Patrick on the same date. Patrick Barrett almost lost his life in the attack.
The court heard that Christopher Barrett arrived on the scene shortly after his brother had been assaulted by two men who were armed with a machete and a slash hook.
CCTV showed Christopher Barrett emerging from a car and carrying a machete. He entered the shop but when he saw his brother’s assailants were gone, he left the area.
The court heard the married-father-of-three, who has several previous convictions, operates a car recovery business.
“Clearly this was an appalling event,” remarked Judge Eoin Garavan.
He said Barrett had gone to a public place carrying a machete which must have been a “terrifying experience” for innocent members of the public.
The judge said Barrett’s actions were “foolish” and “clearly a criminal act". Judge Garavan imposed an 18-month suspended prison sentence and ordered Barrett to carry out 200 hours of community service.
“You don’t brandish a knife in a town in this way and expect to go scot-free,” the judge said.
- Published as part of the Courts Reporting Scheme.
