Four males charged after serious assault in Castlebar

Four males charged after serious assault in Castlebar

Castlebar Courthouse. Photo: Alison Laredo.

Four males have been charged in connection with the assault of a man in Castlebar last year.

The incident happened in the early hours of August 23, 2025, when gardaí found a man unconscious after an alleged assault outside a licensed premises on Tucker Street in the county town. The man in his 20s was removed from the scene and taken to Mayo University Hospital to be treated for serious injuries.

Four males were arrested and charged and appeared before Castlebar District Court today.

Davitt Neary, of Shanvalley, Breaffy Road, Castlebar and Paul Dowding, of Frenchhill, Castlebar have been charged with assault causing harm and violent disorder. A co-accused, who cannot be named because he was a minor at the time of the alleged assault, faces the same charges. A fourth male, Oran Groarke, of Ballynew, Turlough Road, Castlebar has been charged with violent disorder.

The court was told that the defendants made no reply when the charges were put to them by Gardaí.

Judge Vincent Deane was told that the Director of Public Prosecutions has directed prosecution on indictment in the circuit criminal court for each of the accused.

All four were remanded on bail and will re-appear in court on July 1 for service of a book of evidence.

More in this section